Sunday, December 11, 2005

Sign of our Times?

I found the Linux Social Experiment to be quite revealing on various levels. As I skirt the fringe of sysadmins, DBAs, and programmers, I witness the arguments over what's better - Linux? FreeBSD? as my well-meaning friends encourage me to break the dependency on Windows. I have a basic understanding of the improvements such a change would bring, but do not have the time nor inclination to do so.

What is more revealing is how few people actually read his sign, and assumed he was looking for a handout. And to see myself in one of those cars - I drive past one man every morning, but have yet to give him anything. I keep telling myself that I'll move some of the bottled water out of the back of my vehicle so it'll be handy to give him, but that has yet to happen. It's not that I don't give to people on the street corners, but I see so many of the same faces on my daily commute, I'm afraid if I start the practice it will be expected...

No comments: