Saturday, September 23, 2006

Day 3: In an inescapable house, who does the grocery shopping?

Shinobi: Heart Under Blade - I hesitate to describe this film as "visually stunning" only because recent films such as "House of Flying Daggers" tend to push the upper limits of visual stimulation. With that said, Shinobi is simply beautiful, with much use of mise en scene to pull the viewer into the scene. I love the superpowers of the ninjas, and the special effects are understated enough not to distract from the plot.

Lie Still - one of the two motifs that are my ultimate terror - an inescapable dwelling. My main question though - how does someone who's resigned to live there have a never ending bottle of gin?

The District - Interesting animation, the songs were wickedly humorous. My only complaint was that the subtitles should have been outlined in black. We sat a little too close not to avoid having to look quickly up and down to catch everything. And two things I knew after leaving the theatre - where Osama Bin Hiden and the difference between Budapest and Bucharest!

No comments: