Sunday, September 24, 2006

Day 4: What kind of business are you in?

What a loooooong day. Here's a quick synopsis:

Isolation - One of my favorite films of the festival, which brings up the controversy of genetic manipulation. One question, though - If a breeding experiment is supposed to be so secretive, why drive around in a company vehicle that has a picture of a cow on the side and the words "Bovine Genetic Technology"?

Piano Tuner of Earthquakes
- As one filmmaker said to me "I'm not SMRT enough to get this movie". Lovely to look at, and the automatons are fascinating - Although I was convinced that either spuds or the creatures from "I Love the Moon" were rowing the boat in one creation. It wasn't until much later that I realized they were severed hands.

Inside - Another favorite, with an interesting twist to a young man with voyeuristic intentions. A rather funny moment occurred when during a crucial scene a character was throwing pottery on the ground. I think most viewers were on the edge of their seat - and a server outside the theatre accidentally dropped a plate! I was one of many who jumped and laughed.

Simon Says - What can I say? The only reason anyone should see this is to see Crispin Glover whacked out. All I could do was laugh, and I don't think I jumped out of my skin even once.

Frostbite - Wicked dark humor, I didn't expect the amount of comedy this movie had but I truly enjoyed it. Best death scene and dying line in this movie. The director was available for the Q & A, and he joked that it had been so cold during the filming, that he decided the sequel would be called "Sunstroke". To be filmed in the Bahamas, sipping pina coladas.

No comments: